A Brush with Kindness is an exterior home repair program sponsored by the City of Cuyahoga Falls and Habitat for Humanity of Summit County.
A Brush with Kindness ensures that families live in safe and well-maintained homes. The program is designed to revitalize the appearance of the neighborhood, encourage connections within the community and most importantly, help preserve affordable housing stock.
Income eligible applicants may receive a 0% interest loan that will be deferred until the sale or transfer of their property or they are no longer the owner occupant. Funds are limited and will be disbursed based on application approval order.
This program is for exterior home repair only for items such as windows, doors, siding, shutters, gutters, porch repair/replacement, porch steps, porch/trim painting, landscaping, and other minor exterior home repair.
Habitat for Humanity of Summit County is contracted by the city to:
- Income qualify loan applicants
- Conduct a comprehensive home inspection
- Develop a scope of work that ensures the end result is satisfactory
- Oversee all aspects of the rehabilitation process
Print informational documents here:
Eligibility & Requirements
Eligibility is determined by the following:
- Single family homes.
- The homeowner must occupy the home as their primary residence.
- Income must be below 80% of the Summit County area median income guidelines. (See chart below)
- All property taxes must be paid and up to date.
- If a mortgage on the home exists it must be current with the lender and not in danger of foreclosure. Proof is required.
- Homeowner’s Insurance must be current and paid to date. Proof is required.
- Cuyahoga Falls utilities must be paid and up to date.
Summit County Area Median Income Guidelines
|Family Size||Maximum Income|
Along with your completed application, you must provide the following information to determine qualification:
- Copy of driver’s license or state I.D. for anyone 18 years of age or older, residing in the home.
- Proof of income for anyone 18 years of age or older, residing in the home. Acceptable forms of income include: past two (2) months’ pay stubs, SSI, Disability, or pension statement, past two (2) years’ income tax returns for those that are self-employed, and proof of any other form of income.
- Proof of Homeowners Insurance (only a copy of the declarations page is needed).
- Proof of Mortgage (if one exists on the home) and that it is current.
- Proof of current utility bills, past two (2) months’ statements for water, gas and electric.
You will be contacted by Habitat for Humanity staff throughout the rehabilitation process.
Applications are accepted year round, but projects are scheduled between April 1 and October 31.
Applications may be downloaded from the link below, or picked up in the City of Cuyahoga Falls Development Department at 2310 Second Street in Cuyahoga Falls, or at Habitat for Humanity of Summit County Administrative Offices at 2301 Romig Road in Akron.
For more information on these or any other Community Development Block Grant programs, please contact the CDBG/Entitlement Administrator at (330) 971-8140.